Long Beach, California and the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club put up a great week of weather for annual Spring Advanced Racing Clinic hosted by the California International Sailing Association. CISA has been running this clinic for 30 years, and ABYC goes above and beyond to give us the best possible venue for this great event. I’ve been lucky to have been involved directing the last 6 clinics.
This year we had 108 sailors, ages 14 to 18 in six classes: 29er, International 420, Laser, Laser Radial, Club 420 and FJ. They were accompanied by 17 world class coaches (listed below).
Four days long, the clinic put the sailors to the test. Daily fitness regimen with Harry Legum from Annapolis Sailing Fitness primed the sailors for what Olympic-level training camps will be like in their not-to-distant future. The format of the clinic broke from tradition slightly this year. To give the sailors and coaches one more day of clinic, we removed the “race day” from the schedule and enabled the coaches to come up with scores from drills, racing and efforts throughout the week. A competitive atmosphere simply dominated the clinic. Sailors were rewarded for their hard word throughout the week rather than just the final day. I am curious to hear the feedback from the sailors and coaches, but I was really impressed by the improved environment.
We were also fortunate to have four great speakers in the evenings of the clinic. Pete Melvin, an Olympic Tornado sailor, naval architect, and CISA board member gave a great presentation on his work designing the 34th and 35th America’s Cup rules, as well as his experience with Emirates Team New Zealand. Here’s the video of his presentation:
Sunday evening we had one of this week’s I420 coaches and Quantum Racing afterguard member Tom Burnham give some fantastic insight into successful team management and campaign management. Coaches and sailors alike were taking notes throughout that one!
Monday we had a brief but lively speech from renowned speaker and sailor Dave Perry who brought over some friends from the Congeressional Cup: America’s Cup winner Dave Dellenbaugh, youth champion Becca Dellenabugh, and current Match Race World Champion Taylor Canfield. The sailors were full of questions and buzzing about match racing and how to get involved.
For the final two days of the clinic we had the great support of US Olympic Technical Director Fuzz Spanhake as well as Olympic Coach and Youth Development Director Leandro Spina, fresh off the plane from Sailing World Cup Palma de Mallorca. Fuzz gave a great slide show on sail controls and followed up with many classes, providing some eye-opening technical knowledge applicable to each group.
I quickly want to thank those involved with running the clinic:
- ABYC’s Membership and Staff are phenomenal, ABYC is simply the best training ground in the world, bar none.
- Our Sponsors: Ayers Hotels, Gill North America, and Kaenon Polarized
- CISA’s administrative staff continue to pull together this clinic to much success.
- The CISA board does much to organize and provide vision for the clinic and the CISA Foundation.
- We had a massive cadre of volunteers in many functions this week: Housing sailors, Running the lunch and dinner service, Pulling dollies, Fueling coach boats, Scoring, and other countless supporting efforts.
- Local Yacht Clubs provide coach boats and equipment: NHYC, USSC Long Beach, LBYC, and of course ABYC.
- Lastly, I want to thank a phenomenal Coaching Staff. Their professionalism and effort through the four days make the clinic run smoothly, but also push the sailors to make improvements that they didn’t know were possible. That inspiration is what we strive for a this event, and the staff was of truly the highest caliber:
- Laser Coaches: Robbie Dean & Mike Kalin
- Laser Radial Coaches: David Wright, Lisa Ross, & Ryan Minth
- 29er Coaches: Cameron Biehl & Zach Brown
- I420 Coaches: Sydney Bolger & Tom Burnham
- C420 Coaches: Joey Mello, Steph Roble, & Jay Kehoe
- FJ Coaches: Zack Maxam & Jimmer Montgomery
- Fitness Coach: Harry Legum
- Technical Coaches: Leandro Spina & Fuzz Spanhake
Videos from the 2014 CISA Clinic can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/user/odmsail
More information about CISA can be found at: www.CISAsailing.org
CISA Advanced Racing Clinic from Jacqueline Campbell.